12.12.2012

Glitzy Skirt

I had no direction with this DIY; I was just wandering around Michael's one day picking up things for a Christmas DIY, and spotted this container of super fine glitter, and I felt that if I could just add this to an item in my wardrobe, my life would be complete! So, into my cart it went. Then I started thinking about what I could do with it, and how I could spruce something up for the holidays! 

Below is what I came up with...


The spray sealer I had is used for all kinds of surfaces, but the item can't be washed afterward. Call me disgusting, but I don't really wash my church clothes since I have more skirts than I need, and most of them don't make the rotation but once every three months. So, naturally I chose one of my skirts. 

I chose a skirt that isn't super tight at the bottom since I figured after the glue and spray sealer it wouldn't stretch anymore. (and it certainly doesn't)


First I taped off a section at the bottom of one side. In hindsight, I should've taped around the entire skirt so I didn't have to match up the front to the back midway.

Working in sections, I used Allen's Fabric Fusion glue and spread it with the sponge roller, using about one tube for the front, and one for the back.


I generously sprinkled the glitter along each glued section.


And then some more for good measure!


Once it was covered in glue and glitter, I shook off the excess glitter and sprayed the sealer along the bottom. After letting that sit for 10-15 minutes, I sprayed it again, and once again sprinkled glitter on top to cover any appearance of stripes. Let that dry a few minutes, shook off the excess and then sprayed the sealer on two or three more times. 

After letting that dry overnight, I finished up the frontside the same way.



I'd say it turned out pretty smashing! I strutted around the house like this for quite some time thinking I was pretty awesome for whipping this up. My husband just rolled his eyes (in a loving way, of course).


All three of my gold DIY's thus far!  

Skirt: Forever 21 - $23 | Booties: Target - $11 | Clutch: Cotton On - Free with online purchase

No comments:

Post a Comment